wg-multicast - Re: multicast rollover

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast rollover

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: Chuck Anderson <>,
  • Subject: Re: multicast rollover
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:05:15 -0400

If anyone knows of any set-top box that speaks IGMPv3, I would
love to hear about it. It will go into my case for multicast presentations.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:51:34 -0400
Chuck Anderson
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:52:46AM +0200, Thomas Kernen wrote:
> > It's great to hear that vendors are finally understanding SSM and
> > IGMPv3
>
> There are still some vendors out there who don't think it is a
> priority to implement IGMPv3 properly. I've mentioned one of them on
> here before. Does anyone have any tips for convincing vendors of the
> importance of SSM and IGMPv3 so that proper implementations will be
> forthcoming before the decade is over?

Here is what I sent Apple on this topics (heavily revised and updated). Feel
free to use as
appropriate :

Inter-domain multicast deployment for broadcasting (except on the I2) is
basically stalled,
as is deployment of globally routable multicast on the Internet
as a whole. See http://www.multicasttech.com/status/ for further details.
Deployment is stalled
because of the complexity of inter-domain any source multicast, and also
because of worries about
security vulnerabilities in inter-domain multicast. A new multicast service
model, Source-Specific
Multicast (SSM) has been developed to address these concerns, and is
especially appropriate in an
Internet video broadcasting environment.

SSM deployment requires nothing from the broadcaster except the selection of
an appropriate
Multicast address, and little from the ISP. However, it does require support
from both the
player and OS of IGMPv3 on the receiver side, and as a practical matter needs
to be supported by
IGMP snooping switches.

A new protocol, Automatic Multicast Tunneling (AMT), should allow for an
automatic multicast
rollover to unicast. AMT is specifically tailored to provide SSM support for
end users who do not
have access to inter-domain native multicast.

SSM plus AMT offers a means of breaking the log-jam and providing usable
service.
Basically, this requires IGMPv3 support in the kernel, SSM support in the
player, IGMPv3 support in
the switch, and use of the AMT shim. Three ISP's have indicated that they
would step up and provide
the multicast fan-out for AMT.

As multicasting increasingly becomes the standard for IP video distribution,
video providers will
need SSM, both for protection of their content within the walled garden, and
to allow for the
provision of video content from outside the walled garden. My analysis of the
statistical
distribution of video content selection indicates that even the United States
should be able to
support 50,000 to 100,000 channels of video content (plus, of course, a large
amount of VOD, some of
which will need to be pre-cached), and the global numbers will be even
larger. Just as Amazon.com
is estimated to make some 40% of its sales from the several million titles
that it carries that do
not sell well enough to be stocked in bookstores, my models predict that in a
100,000 channel video
distribution universe as much as 50% of the audience (and thus the revenues)
are likely to come
accrue to the ~ 99,000 channels that are not supported by the walled gardens.
The only realistic way
I see to support this will be through the use of SSM, IGMPv3 and (at least in
the near term) AMT.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks