wg-multicast - multicast rollover

Subject: All things related to multicast

multicast rollover

  • From: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>
  • To: "Alan Crosswell" <>
  • Cc: "wg-multicast" <>
  • Subject: multicast rollover
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:40:27 -0400

I continue to think that widespread multicast will occur when it solves an
obvious, current problem and not a future "if you build it they will come"
problem. Most ISP's don't yet suffer from the problem multicast can solve,
and local IT staff simply don't see the issue. You know, "when you are a
hammer, the whole world looks like a nail" and they engineer unicast
solutions (or filters!) to control popular traffic.

You can do virtually everthing multicast can do via conventional
unicast...but you can't get unicast to scale the way you can with
multicast...but you don't need multicast scale until it is obvious that you
need it (unfortunately).

I think the unicast rollover described in the attached has value and that it
can address the issue of dependable service to drive the bandwidth
consumption that multicast can ultimately solve. I can see the ISP and/or IT
staff saying "we've got to do something about all these idential packets
going to 1,000 users", and I wonder if rollover with multicast bias is at
least "an" answer.

Please don't flame me...I don't offer this as an advertisement but for the
opinion and thoughts of this august body :) Rollover thas been around for
awhile but I don't recall seeing a discussion here...

rich