wg-multicast - Re: multicast rollover

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast rollover

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: "Richard Mavrogeanes" <>, "Alan Crosswell" <>
  • Cc: "wg-multicast" <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast rollover
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:07:06 -0400

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:40:27 -0400
"Richard Mavrogeanes"
> I continue to think that widespread multicast will occur when it solves an
> obvious, current
> problem and not a future "if you build it they will come" problem. Most
> ISP's don't yet suffer
> from the problem multicast can solve, and local IT staff simply don't see
> the issue. You know,
> "when you are a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail" and they
> engineer unicast solutions
> (or filters!) to control popular traffic.
>
> You can do virtually everthing multicast can do via conventional
> unicast...but you can't get
> unicast to scale the way you can with multicast...but you don't need
> multicast scale until it is
> obvious that you need it (unfortunately).
>
> I think the unicast rollover described in the attached has value and that
> it can address the
> issue of dependable service to drive the bandwidth consumption that
> multicast can ultimately
> solve. I can see the ISP and/or IT staff saying "we've got to do something
> about all these
> idential packets going to 1,000 users", and I wonder if rollover with
> multicast bias is at least
> "an" answer.

I think that this is the power behind AMT and similar auto-tunnel works. This
will be
provide transparent roll-over. However, it's not just AMT, it's

SSM / IGMPv3 support in OS kernels
SSM / IGMPv3 support in video players and other edge receivers
SSM / IGMPv3 support in snooping switches
a really robust interdomain multicast routing infrastructure, that, once you
get it working, stays
that way

I could use this right now, today. Unfortunately, I think we are looking at
2-5 years.

Regards
Marshall