wg-multicast - Re: multicast rollover

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast rollover

  • From: John Kristoff <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: multicast rollover
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:24:21 -0500

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:40:27 -0400
"Richard Mavrogeanes"

> Please don't flame me...I don't offer this as an advertisement but for
> the opinion and thoughts of this august body :) Rollover thas been
> around for awhile but I don't recall seeing a discussion here...

Halfway down the first page is this:

As the name implies, unicast rollover first tries to view a video
via multicast, but if multicast fails it will play the same video
via multicast.

You *will* use multicast! MMwuahahah! :-) I don't think that is
what you meant.

It seems like a pretty nice approach that an application can take
to me. It might be nice if the source has a good feature set at
their disposable to be able to do things like "only these netblocks
can get the [unicast|multicast] stream", or only X simultaneous
unicast streams permitted at one time and so on.

John