wg-multicast - Re: multicast rollover

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast rollover

  • From: "Thomas Kernen" <>
  • To: "Dov Zimring" <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast rollover
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:52:46 +0200

Most major telephone companies are in the process of defining their next
generation IP architectures to support multicast to the home for IP
Video delivery. Many of the architectural discussions I've been exposed
to include the use of SSM to the edge and IGMPv3 in the home. IPv6 and
MLD are out there on the horizon from my view and while the
architectures do not currently support subscribers as multicast sources,
they provide the majority of the plumbing necessary to allow for that.
There are a growing number of early adopters that have implemented IP
Video networks with PIM, SSM and some flavor of IGMP in the STBs.
That's the first major commercial push of IP Multicast into the home
that I'm aware of, albeit in a "walled garden".

It's great to hear that vendors are finally understanding SSM and IGMPv3, when I first started working on a Triple Play network design 3 years ago, vendors were only discovering the use of multicast and IGMPv2, so Set Top Boxes with IGMPv3 was a long long way down the road. But practially I still havn't come across a network that is up and running with v3 STBs and SSM.

Thomas