wg-multicast - Re: multicast rollover

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast rollover

  • From: Bruce Curtis <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast rollover
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:34:22 -0500

On Oct 11, 2005, at 6:40 PM, Richard Mavrogeanes wrote:

I think the unicast rollover described in the attached has value and that it can address the issue of dependable service to drive the bandwidth consumption that multicast can ultimately solve. I can see the ISP and/or IT staff saying "we've got to do something about all these idential packets going to 1,000 users", and I wonder if rollover with multicast bias is at least "an" answer.

My memory may be going but it seems to me that this is the way the Microsoft Video player worked, at least a year or two ago, I distinctly remember reading about it and trying it out on a stream. (Perhaps a stream from an i2 meeting?). But since then I worked with the Anthropology department here when they were looking at using a Microsoft server to serve a multicast stream. At that time although it was listed as having he capability it was unclear on how to configure a Microsoft server to source multicast. In this particular example the local department was partnering with the Research Channel and wanted to source multicast only, we don't currently have the bandwidth to source lots of unicast copies of this stream. But I agree that in many cases it is desirable to have the user's client try multicast first and then fall back to unicast.
I have also helped another local department set up multicast for streams on a Real server and I believe that is the way the Real client worked also, it would fail over to unicast if the multicast stream was unavailable, again a couple of years ago.

I just sent email to another University in our state suggesting that they looking to multicasting some content they stream on some weekends, ideally a slightly higher bandwidth and higher quality stream via multicast and have it fall back to the regular speed unicast that they can support with their bandwidth.

At a conference hosted here yesterday one of the Keynote speakers was from XM Satellite and he mentioned that some of their content will now be available via AOL and at least one other web radio site. I agree that it might take less convincing to get content like that multicast if the content providers can be shown that it is transparent to the end users (with an automatic fall back to unicast)

---
Bruce Curtis

Certified NetAnalyst II 701-231-8527
North Dakota State University