wg-multicast - VieoLAN (was multicast stats)

Subject: All things related to multicast

VieoLAN (was multicast stats)

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Subject: VieoLAN (was multicast stats)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:10:12 -0400

At 13:32 -0700 9/4/03, John Zwiebel wrote:
FWIW -- check out:
http://videolan.org/

multiplatform (mac, widows, linux binaries available), easy to use (even I can do it),
all the major codecs, same app to source and to receive mcast and its free.

I have been able to source a DVD and receive that transmission as if it
were playing locally. I don't want you to think it doesn't have bugs, but
they've been releasing new versions every two weeks.

I've been using VideoLAN for a while to watch local content and receive MPEG-2 transport streams (from VBricks, mostly). It definitely continues to improve. For the most part it works reasonably well, but I've noticed two deficiencies:

- Audio/video sync is great for local files, but broken for streams. Not a problem for things like the Monterey Bay cameras, but a big issue for watching a seminar or musical performance.

- Recovery from loss seems weak, at best, especially in the presence of any latency.

I did some very limited testing between Columbia and here, over a nice clean path, and found that streaming an MPEG-2 file from disk wasn't very enjoyable. However that was only a very brief trial, and with an older version.

If anyone else wants to test, I have some legal content available* and can source or sink. I'm a bit constrained on bandwidth just this moment, so we might have to keep it to MPEG-1. And it isn't germane to this group, but I'm also interested in testing IPv4 vs IPv6 unicast streams over the wide area. . .

* I _LOVE_ archive.org, and think Rick Prelinger deserves a Nobel Prize in some category or another. . .

Bill.