wg-multicast - Re: multicast stats

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast stats

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: Jon Zeeff <>,
  • Subject: Re: multicast stats
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 17:17:43 -0400

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:03:28 -0400
Jon Zeeff

> How can I find out what are the most popular multicast uses on the
> Internet? Or perhaps on Abilene (where netflow data is available).
>

> For example, I assume that some of the UofOregon traffic is popular, but I
> don't know for sure.

Ever since ASM RTCP receiver reports withered and died, no one really knows.
I am not really sure why this happened. Many people think that having
each member of a large group send to every other member is not a good thing,
but I do not think that it was caused by complaints.

My experiments indicate that I do not get RR's for more than a tiny
fraction (<< 1/10th) of the audience, but what that fraction is
is unknown. Most times all I really know is whether or not
I have outbound state.

Marshall