wg-multicast - Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]

  • From: Bill Nickless <>
  • To: David Farmer <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:29:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, David Farmer wrote:

> We still need to say you SHOULD filter them and we need it to
> become BCP that networks actually filter them. How you actually
> filter them is really a local implementation issue. Although making
> it easy is a good thing.

How does the following sound?

1. The mcast-unusable draft is intended (partially) to give IANA
advice about what groups should be permanently reserved.

So I don't think it makes sense to put the bogon list in the
mcast-unusable draft, because the bogon list is controlled
by IANA. Something feels circular. :-)

2. The mcast-ipv4-bcp draft, on the other hand, could very well
mention filtering bogons in the context of IANA reserved
blocks, plus a (technically redundant?) link to the permanently
unusable blocks in the mcast-unusable draft (and successors).

3. David Farmer writes a draft for MBONED explaining how to
automatically, safely, and securely update one's bogon/unusable
filter list. :-) :-)

(Seriously, David, I'll be glad to work with you on #3 if you like.)