wg-multicast - Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:15:10 -0500

On 4 Sep 2003 David Farmer wrote:

> A BGP BOGON route like described on the web page you pointed
> to: http://www.cymru.com/BGP/bogon-rs.html Would work for
> BOGON sources, Multicast NLRI routes point to a null, then a
> BOGON source should cause a packets to fail RPF, both for traffic
> and MSDP I think. But, I don't see how this can do anything based
> on Group Address.
>
> This could very well be a good thing to do as well, but I don't see
> how it can accomplish anything for BOGON Groups. Which only
> leaves hand built access lists I think. Someone PLEASE tell me I'm
> wrong :-(

Thinking through this some more, I think the standard unicast
BOGON filter at the web site would cause BOGON sources to fail
RPF, without needing a Mulitcast-NLRI route. Therefore, the
BOGON filters described will Blackhole unicast traffic going to
BOGON destinations and any multicast traffic or MSDP BOGON
sources. If a router did Unicast-RPF, then it would also Blackhole
any unicast from a BOGON source.

But as I said above, I don't think this technique can't do anything
for BOGON (Reserved) Multicast Groups.

> If bigger brains than mine figure out a way, I'd be willing to write a
> dratf if no one else is.

Any ideas?

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-624-4035