wg-multicast - Re: multicast stats

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast stats

  • From: John Zwiebel <>
  • To: Jon Zeeff <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: multicast stats
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:32:48 -0700

On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 01:03 PM, Jon Zeeff wrote:

How can I find out what are the most popular multicast uses on the Internet? Or perhaps on Abilene (where netflow data is available).

FWIW -- check out:
http://videolan.org/

multiplatform (mac, widows, linux binaries available), easy to use (even I can do it),
all the major codecs, same app to source and to receive mcast and its free.

I have been able to source a DVD and receive that transmission as if it
were playing locally. I don't want you to think it doesn't have bugs, but
they've been releasing new versions every two weeks.

I have high hopes. Once folks see it is possible, then they'll start
looking for better content rather than worry about the application.