wg-multicast - Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]

  • From: "David Farmer" <>
  • To: Bill Nickless <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:20:34 -0500

Great Idea, but John Z. is right about the security issues.

But, this is realy more an issues of how and not that you should
filter them.

So I have no problem recommending that people use something
like his this to manage the filter list and I might even be willing to
help make some thing like it happen.

We still need to say you SHOULD filter them and we need it to
become BCP that networks actually filter them. How you actually
filter them is really a local implementation issue. Although making
it easy is a good thing.

On 4 Sep 2003 Bill Nickless wrote:

> How about doing something like this for the multicast groups that IANA
> hasn't yet allocated, or are otherwise unusable for various reasons?
>
> What I like about it is that it's automated, rather than depending on a
> human in the loop everywhere to watch for IANA announcements.
>
> Having only spent about 20-30 seconds thinking about it, I'm not sure
> whether it's possible to configure popular routers to black-hole traffic
> destined for groups that are in a table populated by BGP. Maybe an
> inspiration will strike later?

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 FAX: 612-624-4035