wg-multicast - Re: multicast stats

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast stats

  • From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <>
  • To: Jon Zeeff <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: multicast stats
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:38:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hard to say... since one multicast flow across a router can support
1 user, 1000 users, or a million users, one cannot really rely on
what a router sees.

Once upon a time we could collect RTCP traffic to count/estimate
the number of actual receivers but that has become essentially
unreliable.

Maybe you could look instead at how often a particular group
is forwarded across a router, i.e. how often there is at least
one downstream receiver. But, these stats aren't currently
be collected.

-Kevin