wg-multicast - Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]

  • From: Bill Nickless <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Bogon Multicast Groups [NANOG: What were we saying about edge filtering]
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 13:45:53 -0500 (CDT)

How about doing something like this for the multicast groups that IANA
hasn't yet allocated, or are otherwise unusable for various reasons?

What I like about it is that it's automated, rather than depending on a
human in the loop everywhere to watch for IANA announcements.

Having only spent about 20-30 seconds thinking about it, I'm not sure
whether it's possible to configure popular routers to black-hole traffic
destined for groups that are in a table populated by BGP. Maybe an
inspiration will strike later?