shibboleth-dev - RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:07:43 -0400

So, we have access to the source for two web important webdav clients (OS X, linux), and in the case of microsoft -- as Scott has noted:

At 11:56 AM -0400 9/24/03, Scott Cantor wrote:
I wasn't specifically looking at Microsoft with that comment, but in their
case, all they need do is document the file system interface, and they have.

so.... how would we like this to work?

Here's an intentionally dumb strawman......

- the client connects over TCP (or SOAP) to the local Handle Dispensing
Service

- the client authenticates using the local convention (provide kerberos service ticket, PKI, etc)

- HDS returns signed SAML Authn Assertion, containing handle

- client POSTs handle to SHIRE on the WEBDAV server

- SHIRE creates session, creates cookie, redirects to real target (webdav server)

- client accepts redirect, issues HTTP GET to webdav server (along with the shib session cookie)

- webdav server recognizes shib protected resource, triggers mod_shibrm, which triggers SHAR, which asks origin for attributes, and then runs shib access control decision (using attributes)

- webdav server responds

is this OK? How should this *really* work?