shibboleth-dev - Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>, "'Wilcox, Mark'" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:09:38 -0500

Abstracting a bit from the particulars of this use case, it might be worth considering a model in which a resource manager can initiate a request for attributes about an already-authenticated user. Instead of attributes being bound to users by virtue of the authentication process employed, as occurs in shibboleth v1 because of its focus on the web browser use case, there would need to be a step in which a resource manager asks an origin to search for a user identity based upon whatever authenitcation artifacts it has in hand ( in Mark's example). Attributes could only be transmitted if that search is successful.

In addition to a dav server, perhaps Von's GridFTP use case could be addressed in this way.

Tom

Scott Cantor wrote:

A final note -- I wonder if for DAV we should focus more on using Shib for
authorization and not authentication. That is if I know it's

and unt.edu is in my federation can I call the unt.edu
origin server to see data about mewilcox?

Well, that's one possibility. The other is to consider writing a file system
extension for some popular systems that can do a redirect-based SSO. Doesn't
really solve the client issue, but might help illustrate the concept for
vendors.