shibboleth-dev - RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From: "Wilcox, Mark" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:03:02 -0400

Title: OS X info, webDAV use case
Yup, Apache mod_dav can use any of the Apache auth/authz modules, the issue is clients.

DAV is perhaps one of the most trickiest use case to solve because we have so little control over how the client will function & clients are all over the map. At least with SOAP, it's reasonable to expect that client apps will be custom written so that if we send back a SOAP header for redirect, a programmer can handle it.

And I'm intimately familiar with the case because we've had WebDAV and SSO capability for so long & this problem occurs with any browser based SSO system & DAV.

Unfortunately, there only reliable auth mechanism due to client issues is to use some form of BASIC auth because none of the clients I know of can handle HTTP redirects or guranteed access to a browser cookie cache. So most (WebCT) customers end up using something like LDAP to verify passwords (in particular if LDAP is the backing auth store for the campus SSO system) so that users don't have to remember multiple username/passwords.

A potential case I've thought of is that servers running Web DAV and wanted to participate in Shib would have a 2 step process. *Note this is ugly solution and may prove to be unworkable, but I'll put it out there* -- that is before setting up your DAV connection you go to a Web site that reads a shib token & authorizes you for DAV access. It prints out on the screen a username/password (for example a MD5 hash) to pass to your DAV connection as part of Basic Auth. DAV server then has a authentication adapter that validates the password.*

And here's what I would list as the most common DAV client use cases:
1 -- MS Web Folders -- DAV (and FrontPage) client standard on all Windows systems Win98 and higher.

2 -- Dreamweaver -- has had DAV support for 3 years. A major limitation in Dreamweaver is that it doesn't do SSL.

3 -- OS X DAV client -- similar to Web Folders concept

4 -- WebDrive -- this is a minority, but is still fairly popular. It essentially extends Web Folders concept so that it matches more closely to what OS X does -- you can map a drive letter to a DAV folder. Web Folders don't map drive letters, so unless you're using Office 2000 or higher applications, you have to use Windows Explorer to drag & drop

A final note -- I wonder if for DAV we should focus more on using Shib for authorization and not authentication. That is if I know it's and unt.edu is in my federation can I call the unt.edu origin server to see data about mewilcox?

Mark