shibboleth-dev - RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:19:59 -0400

At 12:27 PM -0400 9/24/03, Scott Cantor wrote:
> Abstracting a bit from the particulars of this use case, it might be
worth considering a model in which a resource manager can initiate a
request for attributes about an already-authenticated user.
Instead of attributes being bound to users by virtue of the authentication
process employed, as occurs in shibboleth v1 because of its focus on the
web browser use case, there would need to be a step in which a resource
manager asks an origin to search for a user identity based upon whatever
authenitcation artifacts it has in hand
(
in Mark's
example). Attributes could only be transmitted if that search
is successful.

There's nothing all that much precluding it, except that the AA currently
doesn't support multiple mappings of subject identifier to principal.
Nothing very complex to change, though. But authentication is the real
problem. How do I convince mod_dav I'm mewilcox?

hmmm... finally a use case for PKI (-:

so, I authn to the webdav server using PKI. Its never heard from me before, but, thru the magic of PKI, I'm able to prove my identity.....

and the cert that I provide contains the info the target would supply back to the AA....

when I saw Tom's initial posting, I had a different question.. an AA will release attributes when presented with a SAML authn assertion signed by itself (ie the origin)... assuming I could authn to the webdav server using basic auth.... who would sign the authn assertion that has to be presented to the AA?

maybe using PKI, and presenting a cert, would answer this question, too

and, as Tom noted, interesting overlap with the grid scenario.......