shibboleth-dev - RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: RE: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:31:51 -0700

At 5:03 PM -0400 on 9/24/03,

wrote:

At 1:32 PM -0400 9/24/03, Scott Cantor wrote:
> maybe using PKI, and presenting a cert, would answer this
question, too

Well, it doesn't prove anything, really, since the cert's public. If I trust
the SHAR to not just hand me a cert for fun, it works. The handle scheme
isn't really secure per se by design, but it puts the onus on a bad SHAR to
invent a valid handle. In the crypto handle case, that's a fairly secure
cross check.

hmmm... so currently the HS provides a "hard to guess, secret value" to the target, and the target uses this to refer to a user, when retrieving attributes......

if the target doesn't have such a value, but does have publicly available information (eg a userid, a cert), is there a technical solution the AA can use to satisfy itself that this is a valid request? Or does it have to rely on policy (ie I know this SHAR, and it has agreed to behave....)

If the requester is not "known" to the AA, it should return only "public information" that it would give to anyone. What this information might be is a local decision.

David