shibboleth-dev - Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To: Walter Hoehn <>
  • Cc: Scott Cantor <>, "'Tom Barton'" <>, "'Wilcox, Mark'" <>,
  • Subject: Re: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:50:22 -0700

At 2:09 PM -0400 on 9/25/03, Walter Hoehn wrote:

As Scott indicated earlier, an AA can already be configured to answer this type of query (give me the attributes for user ""). A current limitation is that each AA can only "understand" one type of user identifier at a time. The SAML attribute request format provides a means by which an AA can distinguish among "user identifier formats" and the AA software could, without too much trouble, be extended to handle this.

Cool.

I do agree that the AA is potentially useful outside of the cononical shib use case, but the problem with this proposal is that not all identifiers are created equal. Once the use is no longer anonymous, you start authenticating directly to the target, and you have no concept of presence; why not just use ldap?

Simple: access control. We have to conform to FERPA, user preferences, granularity, etc, etc. I would also like to be able to perform configuration-controlled logic to answer compound queries, e.g. is this a 3rd year medical student who has passed xxx qualifying exams? In made-up meta code
answer = (user(year-toward-degree) == 3) && (user(exam_result(xxx) >=
"pass");
return(answer);

A simple LDAP access method simply isn't enough. I think the enhanced AA concept - an intelligent, trusted source that can respond to a variety of queries and query formats would be extremely useful.

I'm thinking of it as the core of a campus authorization support service -- well beyond Shib per se.

David