shibboleth-dev - RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • To: Scott Cantor <>, "'Tom Barton'" <>, "'Wilcox, Mark'" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:21:08 -0700

Actually, this scenario was anticipated early on but was not central to the initial Shib design. Clearly the AA can be a generalized "authorization" server speaking with authority about subjects it "knows." I would love to see this capability added (soon? eventually?).

Questions include:

1) What protocol? Clearly it could support (conceptually) anything from "whois" to a fully qualified LDAP query. In light of SAML/SOAP however, I would encourage a protocol that would support that methodology.

2) What information can be requested? Current Shib AA implementation doesn't look at query parameters (as I understand it) but merely responds with whatever it is willing to release to the identified target. Perhaps a query parameter definition is needed so that a requester could ask, for example, for a PKI certificate associated with an email address, or ask for an email address associated with a public key, or ...

3) What information might/should be released? The SHIB AA rules are roughly "release only public information to an unknown requester" and only designated information to a known target. Hence, any server/"interested party" could send a query to the AA, presumably with some content that would identify a single record in its DB, and the AA would respond appropriately. The requester would identify itself with a PKI certificate, as it does within Shib.

So, in the case Tom identified, the "resource manager" would open a connection to the AA, submit a query for information about <> that is either unauthenticated or authenticated, and would receive an answer based on the AA's ruleset.

Fertile ground.

David

-----
At 12:27 PM -0400 on 9/24/03, Scott Cantor wrote:

> Abstracting a bit from the particulars of this use case, it might be
worth considering a model in which a resource manager can initiate a
request for attributes about an already-authenticated user.
Instead of attributes being bound to users by virtue of the authentication
process employed, as occurs in shibboleth v1 because of its focus on the
web browser use case, there would need to be a step in which a resource
manager asks an origin to search for a user identity based upon whatever
authenitcation artifacts it has in hand
(
in Mark's
example). Attributes could only be transmitted if that search
is successful.

There's nothing all that much precluding it, except that the AA currently
doesn't support multiple mappings of subject identifier to principal.
Nothing very complex to change, though. But authentication is the real
problem. How do I convince mod_dav I'm mewilcox?