shibboleth-dev - Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From: Walter Hoehn <>
  • To: "David L. Wasley" <>
  • Cc: Scott Cantor <>, "'Tom Barton'" <>, "'Wilcox, Mark'" <>,
  • Subject: Re: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:11:15 -0400

David L. Wasley wrote:
I do agree that the AA is potentially useful outside of the cononical shib use case, but the problem with this proposal is that not all identifiers are created equal. Once the use is no longer anonymous, you start authenticating directly to the target, and you have no concept of presence; why not just use ldap?

Simple: access control. We have to conform to FERPA, user preferences, granularity, etc, etc.

I'm still not sure I get this. I'm not necessarily arguing against you, just trying to clarify... Most LDAP servers have access control. We have access control. Which is better is really just an implementation detail, since neither LDAP nor Shib specifies the access control mechanisms. Are you saying "We should use shib for this because we own the code and can make it do cool stuff"?

I would also like to be able to perform configuration-controlled logic to answer compound queries, e.g. is this a 3rd year medical student who has passed xxx qualifying exams? In made-up meta code
answer = (user(year-toward-degree) == 3) && (user(exam_result(xxx) >= "pass");
return(answer);

Supporting these types of queries is way out of the scope of the current implementation. You can, however, grab all available attributes and perform your own complex evaluation. Alternatively, if the queries are not arbitrary, you can configure the AA to do complex evaluations and return the response in the form of a single agreed up on attribute.

-Walter