shibboleth-dev - Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From: Ryan Muldoon <>
  • To: "Wilcox, Mark" <>, Scott Cantor <>, <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:01:45 -0400

Title: Re: OS X info, webDAV use case
I completely agree – the hard part of DAV support is getting real client support for actual HTTP standards.  My inclination is that Apple would be reasonably willing to adjust things if needed, since I’m pretty sure they can use neon to link against for their http support.  Microsoft could as well, but they are usually not so great about embracing standards.  So it isn’t so much that they would have to be convinced to support Shibboleth (as I doubt any of their big customers are clamoring for it), but that they need to support HTTP 1.1.  I have no access to a Windows machine anymore, but doesn’t the Web Folders stuff just use “IE technology”?  In that case, as long as it is a BASIC AUTH or a DIGEST AUTH type, shouldn’t it work?  Granted, it won’t work if you need to log on at a website, but if you just push a login/password request, won’t a dialog box just pop up?  As I recall with thinking about DAV with pubcookie, everything works so long as you’ve logged into login server with a browser first, then use web folders.  I’d imagine that it should be the same case with Shib.  But again, I can’t test this right now.

   --Ryan