shibboleth-dev - Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: OS X info, webDAV use case

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: OS X info, webDAV use case
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:58:45 -0400

Some of the use cases put forward in response to my request for "non-browser non-web applications" fall into a category I'll label "sort-of web". I'd put WebDAV and the Darwin Streaming Server into this category. (There are other categories; I'll discuss those in a separate note.)

WebDAV rides atop http. Clients peak http; one of the most popular server implementations is the apache mod_dav module. The SS can seemingly be accessed in a number of ways... but after much tutoring by someone from Apple, I'm leaning toward believing that ultimately some kind of client gets run on the desktop (perhaps triggered from a web browser; the client might be QuickTime Player, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, etc), and the client speaks RTSP to the SS. The RFC describing RTSP includes this text:

D.1.2 Authentication-enabled

In order to access media presentations from RTSP servers that require
authentication, the client MUST additionally be able to do the
following:
* recognize the 401 status code;
* parse and include the WWW-Authenticate header;
* implement Basic Authentication and Digest Authentication.

so, yes, RTSP is somewhat like HTTP...... and if I protect a movie within SS, my player pops up a dialog that looks a lot like a browser's Basic Authn dialog.

So those are the two I'm currently calling "sort-of web". Server sides for both implement authn in typical web server fashion (DAV can use whatever is configured into the apache server; RTSP will use Basic or Digest). And both will typically have a non-browser client in the desktop.

My question is -- how would we like shibbollized versions of these to work?

-- modify the webdav client to do shib in some fashion?

-- or, shib protect the webdav target, but have the target supply something other than a handle to the AA, when requesting attributes? (eg cert, sort sort of userid, etc)

-- have the AA check out-of-band for "presence" before releasing attributes (eg jabber, etc)

-- I don't think its useful to say that the AA would only use the default policy in this case -- presumably, that releases only a bare minimum of attributes, and presumably something more than that would be needed to access protected webdav areas....