shibboleth-dev - RE: WAYF redirection vs. sites.xml

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: WAYF redirection vs. sites.xml

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: 'c wilper' <>,
  • Subject: RE: WAYF redirection vs. sites.xml
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:32:58 -0400

> Is it recommended that a non-html client parse the
> xhtml's option elements (much in the same way it would
> have to parse the xhtml form with the base-64-encoded
> xml samlresponse from the HS).... or would direct
> access to the WAYF's sites.xml file be provided at
> some point?

Direct access to the file is not a problem (it already is public), but the
trick is that your web interface doesn't distinguish between your browser
users and your Java client, and doesn't know to do anything different.

I would think the optimum solution in the short term is to tweak the WAYF to
sniff for a user agent or other HTTP header to signal to it that the
presentation to the client should be XML. Perhaps just content negotiation
via the Accept header, even.