shibboleth-dev - RE: Shib and portals

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Shib and portals

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To: "'David L. Wasley'" <>, ,
  • Subject: RE: Shib and portals
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:41:19 -0400

> Steven, I am strongly of the opinion that asking the portal to cache
> and forward attributes is a bad model for 2 significant reasons:

The point of Steven's question isn't to ask whether it's a bad idea. The
question is, do enough people agree that it's a bad enough idea that we
should go write a bunch of code to do X instead of Y next.

> I believe there is a very straight forward way to deal with the
> portal N-tier problem. Attached is the proposal I wrote up long ago
> - I've not heard feedback that would suggest it isn't workable.

It's workable, but you have the overhead of multiple handle queries, the
potential for handles to invalidate w/o the back-end being able to negotiate
for a new session, etc. And it's questionable whether it can be done in a
non-portal-product-specific way when the actual interaction with the
channels comes into play. At least that's what I thought I understood from
the discussion.