shibboleth-dev - RE: Shib and portals

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Shib and portals

  • From: "Wilcox, Mark" <>
  • To: "David L. Wasley" <>, <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: Shib and portals
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:15:42 -0400

Title: Re: Shib and portals
I think caching has to be built into the model from a scalability point of view. Yes, I realize premature optimization is the root of all evil but look we're not in totally unfamiliar ground here -- we know what caching is a likely scenario at some point.

What I think should be considered -- is perhaps having sub-elements being encrypted by different keys.

For example to follow the charge-card example -- the portal could cache it if it was encrypted by a private key that only 'cleared' vendors had access to.

Not perfect, but more secure than common practice today and I think could be an acceptable compromise.

Mark