shibboleth-dev - target deploy guide, linux Q

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

target deploy guide, linux Q

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: target deploy guide, linux Q
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:13:08 -0500

At 5:56 PM -0500 11/16/02, Derek Atkins wrote:
I just tried installing the current linux beta distro on a clean
RH7.3 machine and it worked just fine. Here's what I did:

- boot up machine
- installed:
libgcc-3.0.4-1.i386.rpm
libstdc++3-3.0.4-1.i386.rpm
apache-1.3.23-14.i386.rpm
shib_target_beta1_rh72_gcc304.tar.gz (dated 13 November)

the latest version of the target deploy guide contains this text:

3.a. Software Requirements

* RedHat 7.2/7.3 or Solaris 2.8
* Apache 1.3.26+

Apache must be compiled with mod_so for DSO module support, and must include SSL support(preferably using mod_ssl), and EAPI support (which mod_ssl requires and provides). Shibboleth can coexist with mod_auth, which may be compiled or loaded into the server for use elsewhere, but Shibboleth does not need or use it.
* OpenSSL 0.9.6+
* libcurl 7.9.8

Shibboleth requires the SSL-enabled version of libcurl.
* libuuid 1.23
* libstdc++3-3.0.4-1.i386.rpm and libgcc-3.0.4-1.i386.rpm

Shibboleth is currently built with GCC 3, and requires these specific library versions. They are available as GCC3 RPMs for RedHat 7.2/7.3, and are available in the RedHat 7.2 updates directory on any RedHat mirror.
* Portions of the libphp4 Apache plugin are written in C++, as is Shibboleth. If a site wants to use libphp4.so, then it must ensure that the binary version they are using and Shibboleth will use the same version of libstdc++. The best way to do this is to recompile libphp4 using the same version of GCC that was used to compile the current version of Shibboleth (GCCv3.04 for Linux, GCCv3.2 for Solaris).

--- end of paste ---

The QUESTION is -- can we assume that RH7.3 comes with the correct versions of several of these packages? (Derek didn't mention anything about installing newer versions of openSSL, libcurl).

And is libuuid coming with RH 7.3?

thanks!