shibboleth-dev - RE: target deploy guide, linux Q

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: target deploy guide, linux Q

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: target deploy guide, linux Q
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:46:13 -0500

At 12:33 PM -0500 11/22/02, Scott Cantor wrote:
> The QUESTION is -- can we assume that RH7.3 comes with the correct
versions of several of these packages? (Derek didn't mention anything
about installing newer versions of openSSL, libcurl).

Yes, as long as you patch your ssl and Apache with the security fixes
from RH, they're fine. RH versions != actual versions. They just apply
fixes backward to their source when holes are published.

As far as curl goes, that's roughly the minimum version needed. I've
moved up to 7.10.1 now in the binaries, and am including it in the Linux
tarball, so even if curl is already installed, it comes with the newest
one.

And is libuuid coming with RH 7.3?

All versions of Linux pretty much include e2fsprogs since the ext2 file
system is basically standard (or was). libuuid is part of that package.

-- Scott

so -- just to confirm my understanding -- we could simplify the text in this linux section, to align with Derek's cookbook, and we should be ok....

now, on to Solaris.... I suggested to Nate that he include text telling sites to install these specific versions ... anything else to add to this list?

At 11:18 AM -0500 11/19/02, Scott Cantor wrote:
This does not include openssl or libgcc/libstdc++, or Apache, which can
be obtained in Solaris package format from sunfreeware.com:

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/8/apache-1.3.27-sol8-sparc-
local.gz

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/8/openssl-0.9.6g-sol8-sparc
-local.gz

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/8/libgcc-3.2-sol8-sparc-loc
al.gz