shibboleth-dev - Re: RH7.3 testing: the beta worked fine for me.

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: RH7.3 testing: the beta worked fine for me.

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Shibboleth Design Team <>
  • Subject: Re: RH7.3 testing: the beta worked fine for me.
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:38:25 -0800 (PST)

OK, maybe a little light here.

I got it to work, sort of by accident (running now at
https://shib.cac.washington.edu/secure/ for your amusement), by setting up
a /usr/local/lib/apache directory for modules, instead of the default
/usr/local/apache which has a whole pile of modules in it, and putting
only a few modules in it (SSL, etc). So the httpd processes at that point
looked like:

apache 13753 0.1 1.5 13132 7936 ? S 00:49 0:00
/usr/sbin/httpd -DHAVE_SSL -DHAVE_CGI

since the /etc/init.d/httpd script does this munging to define HAVE_* for
all the modules.

By moving more modules about I was able to figure out that the sole
offending module is:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1561021 Apr 15 2002 libphp4.so*

That is, if that module is in the set of loaded modules, child httpds
segfault, but if it's not, then all is fine.

I noticed there's an updated libphp for RH7.3 (php-4.1.2-7.3.6), so I
installed that, but it didn't make any difference.

Now I suppose I should mention that shib.cac.washington.edu is a
dual-processor box, spose that could be a factor.

Anyway,

- RL "Bob"