shibboleth-dev - RE: target deploy guide, linux Q

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: target deploy guide, linux Q

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: target deploy guide, linux Q
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:08:54 -0500

At 1:13 PM -0500 11/22/02, Scott Cantor wrote:
> so -- just to confirm my understanding -- we could simplify the text
in this linux section, to align with Derek's cookbook, and we should
be ok....

Yes, we just need to be careful in separating stuff relating to the
binaries and stuff relating to the source.

When we talk about minimum versions for things, that's really a source
issue. The binaries really aren't guaranteed to work with anything they
weren't linked with. The reason is that a lot of open source projects
don't understand or use shared library versioning. They don't know when
to rev their library versions, so they either do it too often or not
enough.

should we put the directions for compiling the source in the deploy guide, or should the deploy guide just point interested parties toward the cvs, and then put the directions into an INSTALL file that's in the cvs?

my inclination is to go with option two -- we ought to document it, and make it as straightforward as we can, but I suspect that most sites will just go with the binaries, if possible.

PS. I have a script that shows how to build everything from source on
both OS's. Should we incorporate that somehow, or just put it somewhere
for reference if people want to see it?

I think this would be *extremely* useful to anyone trying to build -- I'm just not sure how to distribute it.