grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Subject external attributes retrieval

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Subject external attributes retrieval

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Martin van Es <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Subject external attributes retrieval
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:28:55 -0600

Martin van Es wrote:
I still have a question about the foreign attributes: what is it that makes them 'tick'?
I understand from the documentation that any column returned translates to an available attribute. So if I would use a (hypothetical) query 'select foo as bar from test where id=?' I would automagically have an attribute 'bar' available in my grouper queries? If this is true, which query is responsibale for this magic? I see 3 in sources.xml for the example source: searchSubject, searchSubjectByIdentifier and search.

That is true, and each of the 3 select statements configured for a JDBC source in sources.xml is responsible for presenting Subject attributes from the back-end source. It's best and simplest for all three select statements to return the same set of columns from the back-end, though it's not strictly necessary.

For the JNDISourceAdapter, the set of 'attribute' elements defines the attributes returned by all 3 LDAP queries.

Tom