grouper-users - Same Group Type Attribute Name in a Different Group Type

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Same Group Type Attribute Name in a Different Group Type

  • From: Colin Hudler <>
  • To: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Same Group Type Attribute Name in a Different Group Type
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:30:52 -0600

I am trying to add duplicate group_type attributes in different group_types, but am unable.

gsh 1% s = GrouperSession.startRootSession()
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.GrouperSession: <snip>
gsh 2% t = typeAdd("test")
type: 'test'
gsh 3% t2 = typeAdd("test2")
type: 'test2'
gsh 4% r = Privilege.getInstance("read")
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.privs.Privilege: read
gsh 5% a = Privilege.getInstance("admin")
edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.privs.Privilege: admin
gsh 6% t.addAttribute(s, "attr1", r, a, false)
attribute: 'attr1'
gsh 7% t2.addAttribute(s, "attr1", r, a, false)
// Error: unable to evaluate command: Sourced file: inline evaluation of: ``t2.addAttribute(s, "attr1", read, admin, false);'' : Method Invocation t2.addAttribute
// See error log for full stacktrace
// caused by: edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.exception.SchemaException:
// field already exists: attr1

I am searching for an attribute name to perform automation (provisioning). Enforcing attribute uniqueness requires the searcher know about every attribute name in advance. A Real Example might help explain why I want to do this:

group_type: ldap
(attr) send_to: ldap
(attr) destinations: ou=sekret;ou=apps

group_type: mssql-im
(attr) send_to: willy.uchicago.edu
(attr) destinations: jive_rosters

The automation searches for send_to attribute, and loads the plugin providing that service (AD, mssql, ldap, etc). Unfortunately, it will never work since the attribute names must be the same. Any suggestion how I could deal?