wg-multicast - Re: multicast: Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast: Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

  • From: Hans Kuhn <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: John Zwiebel <>, David Meyer <>, Robert Olson <>, "Lucy E. Lynch" <>, Bill Owens <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: multicast: Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 22:34:28 -0700 (PDT)

Marshall,

For your SSM sources I suggest you use the 232 space for
several reasons:

* readily identifiable at a glance as SSM vis a vis the
address (i.e. useful for debugging)

* most apps (including mim) rely on the presence of a 232
address to recognize an SSM session

* 232/8 is a nearly inexhaustable supply of addresses.
Remember that SSM uses S,G for each session. Even if you
only have a /24 of host addresses you have

253 host addresses * 24 bits of SSM addresses

worth of addresses for SSM sources. I challenge you to use
that up! (using a Digital Fountain box is cheating ;)

Hans

--
Hans Kuhn, Academic User Services office (541) 346-1714
University of Oregon, 237 CC fax (541) 346-4397

Key fingerprint = 1E BC 32 03 AC E9 82 6C 44 4A CD 63 BB 2D 51 89