wg-multicast - Re: "Virgin SSM": (was MSDP problems in the internet)

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: "Virgin SSM": (was MSDP problems in the internet)

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: John Zwiebel <>, Toerless Eckert <>, Hans Kuhn <>, David Meyer <>, Robert Olson <>, "Lucy E. Lynch" <>, Bill Owens <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: "Virgin SSM": (was MSDP problems in the internet)
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 00:07:43 -0700

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 02:05:48AM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> Well, as a content provider, this does not seem like something that I
> should rely on, regardless of how good or bad a thing it is.
>
> It is likely that application writers (those who have put in SSM IGMPv3
> calls at all) will assume 232/8 == SSM and that other multicast addresses
> are
> ASM. So, as appears to be the case with MIM, I cannot assume that an
> application
> will do the right thing with a SSM join from outside of the SSM range.

That would be bad if it happened, because it would preclude SSM
use within administrative scopes.

> When SSM was set up, the consensus was that it should not interoperate with
> ASM.

Correct.

> One can argue with this (it seemed unwise to me)

It was a tradeoff between immediate applicability and maximum benefit.

> , but that was the consensus. To set up SSM join information for an ASM
> group is thus a kludge. It seems unwise to me to try and set up a broadcast
> solution that relies upon a kludge.

True, but that doesn't preclude there to be SSM channels outside 232/8,
they just should be admin scoped, because there's no need for a further
global scope one.

> We will have a permanent SSM MPEG-4 channel up this week.

Cool

--
Toerless