wg-multicast - Re: "Virgin SSM": (was MSDP problems in the internet)

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: "Virgin SSM": (was MSDP problems in the internet)

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: John Zwiebel <>
  • Cc: Toerless Eckert <>, Marshall Eubanks <>, Hans Kuhn <>, John Zwiebel <>, David Meyer <>, Robert Olson <>, "Lucy E. Lynch" <>, Bill Owens <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: "Virgin SSM": (was MSDP problems in the internet)
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:36:57 -0700

John, a host can not join to (*,G) and (S,G) with IGMPv3.
Blame IGMPv3 to be a broken protocol, but basically you
can either do an EXCLUDE({},G) membership (aka join (*,G))
or an INCLUDE({S},G) (aka join (S,G)). Remember: IGMPv3
allows you to only report INCLUDE or EXCLUDE mode for a group !

Yes, with IGMPv3lite we can do this ;-))

Cheers
Toerless

Unless you come up with a completely twisted IGMP
If a host does an IGMP
On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:23:31AM -0700, John Zwiebel wrote:
> Toerless Eckert wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 07:27:30AM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> > >
> > > I must admit that as a practical matter, I am dubious about the effacy
> > > of just
> > > treating ASM sessions as if they were SSM. The two were deliberately
> > > intended
> > > not to interoperate at the group level, and it seems like a kludge to
> > > treat them
> > > as if they were.
> > >
> > > Marshall
> >
> > Please explain.
>
> FWIW:
> I suggested to him that if the source was included in the
> SAP description that a host could decide for itself
> whether it wanted to join (*,G) or (S,G) allowing
> him to use a single source to satisfy both SSM and ASM.
>
> Since some vendor implementations will have the last hop
> join to the (*,G) as well as the (S,G) on receipt of
> an IGMPv3 report, and for many other reasons, his
> reluctance to follow this suggestion is valid. I
> totally agree that doing this is a kludge.
>
> But then so was MSDP, any-cast RP, and IGMP snooping.
>
> If the community wants to stay "virgin" and keep ssm
> only in the 232/8 range (ie there is 'virgin SSM' and
> 'compromised SSM' which would be to implement my
> kludge.) that's fine with me. There are probably
> many reasons to do so.
>
> OTOH, there's no reason to not use the kludge. It
> doesn't result in any interoperability problems and
> it does get packets to the receiver without having to
> depend on MSDP. So, I'm happy to leave it up to the
> content provider and the receiver to make the
> choice about whether or not they want to maintain
> their virginity.

Thanks
Toerless Eckert