wg-multicast - Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: John Zwiebel <>, David Meyer <>
  • Cc: Robert Olson <>, "Lucy E. Lynch" <>, Marshall Eubanks <>, Bill Owens <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 21:45:15 -0400

On Mon, 13 May 2002 16:48:33 -0700
John Zwiebel

John et al.;

Before the recent Minneapolis IETF, I was strongly in favor of
removing encapsulation from the MSDP draft. During the meeting, however, I
changed my mind. What convinced me was the following argument :

Multicast only has a limited amount of political capital from application
developers, router vendors, etc. This limited amount of mindshare should
applied
to issues, such as SSM, that are likely to advance the technology. Trying to
"fix" MSDP is a waste of poltical capital.

So, my feeling is, document MSDP as it stands now, encapsulation and all, put
the draft out (as informational ?), and move on.

Marshall

P.S. We want to start sourcing SSM video soon. A query - which would be
better:
to declare part of our GLOP space to be SSM, or to use the SSM address range ?
Which would be easier to use mim with ?