wg-multicast - Re: (MSDP problems in the internet)

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: (MSDP problems in the internet)

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: Bill Nickless <>
  • Cc: John Zwiebel <>, Marshall Eubanks <>, Bill Owens <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: (MSDP problems in the internet)
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:36:08 -0700

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 08:19:37PM -0500, Bill Nickless wrote:
> At 05:23 PM 5/13/2002 -0700, John Zwiebel wrote:
>
> >The idea of requiring some sort of RTS/CTS handshake has been batted
> >around all nearly every IETF I've ever attended.
>
> CTS snuck in the back door and was accepted as part of the SSM service
> model. We just call it an IGMPv3 (S,G) Group Membership Report.

It's actually the MSNIP part that can do the CTS trick, but
that's also just the poor mans solution because there is no
useful admission control information possible just relying on
joins.

> Just as a receiver must refresh CTS by responding to periodic IGMPv3 Group
> Membership Queries, let's require senders to refresh RTS by sending
> datagrams at least once per minute.

Make those RTS packets be RSVP Path messages and i agree. Otherwise
it's just a hack for a hacky protocol (MSDP).

Cheers
Toerless