wg-multicast - Re: IGMP considered harmful [Was: MSDP problems in the internet]

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IGMP considered harmful [Was: MSDP problems in the internet]

  • From: Ross Finlayson <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: Re: IGMP considered harmful [Was: MSDP problems in the internet]
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 01:09:43 -0700

At 06:19 PM 5/13/02, Bill Nickless wrote:
Until we get there, I think intra-domain multicast users should be prepared to run something like Finlayson's CastGate

I think you're probably referring to the "UMTP" protocol (described in <http://www.live.com/umtp.txt>), and/or it's implementation in the "liveGate" application <http://www.live.com/liveGate/>. ("CastGate" is the name of someone else's project, which, although based upon UMTP, has no real credibility, IMHO.)

enhanced to handle SSM-style (S,G) semantics.

UMTP has supported SSM for more than a year now.

Ross.