wg-multicast - Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

  • From: David Meyer <>
  • To: John Zwiebel <>
  • Cc: Robert Olson <>, "Lucy E. Lynch" <>, Marshall Eubanks <>, Bill Owens <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:58:55 -0700

Z,

>> "MSDP IS A KLUDGE THAT WAS THOUGHT UP ON THE SPUR OF
>> THE MOMENT TO GET AROUND SOME SILLY POLITICAL ISSUES
>> THAT THE ISP'S THINK ARE IMPORTANT. IT WAS NEVER INTENDED,
>> AND SHOULD NEVER HAVE ATTAINED, THE STATUS IT HAS NOW
>> OF BEING A 'REAL' PROTOCOL DESTINED FOR ITS OWN RFC."
>> If no one else is willing to sing along with me, then how can I tell you
>> to shut
>> the MSDP working group down? I can't.

Well, the IETF is consensus based, in theory anyway. So your
voice/opinion is as valued as anyone else's. If you really
believe this (I'm not sure what to do with MSDP; it just appears
as a massive energy sink/blackhole to me at the moment), then we
should take it up in honest discussion. I perceive the problem to
be something like "many people still want ASM-like functionality
in a multicast service model" and we don't have anything to offer
them (and don't say BGMP; bidir PIM maybe? but we don't have a
well developed inter-domain model for this, yet). Maybe I'm wrong
about that. Someone correct me if so.

Dave