wg-multicast - Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: John Zwiebel <>, David Meyer <>, Robert Olson <>, "Lucy E. Lynch" <>, Bill Owens <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 19:43:41 -0700

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 09:45:15PM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2002 16:48:33 -0700
> John Zwiebel
> <>
> wrote:
>
> So, my feeling is, document MSDP as it stands now, encapsulation and all,
> put
> the draft out (as informational ?), and move on.

Agreed for but one point, and i'm repeating myself here:
Just because MSDP isn't the hailbringer of everything that's
good, why shouldn't it still be an IETF standard, why only
informational ? After all it has damned much implementation and
deployment, and as far as the quality of MSDP is concerned it
certainly has gone through much more discussions an understanding
than most other protocols. I don't see why it shouldn't be
on the standards track the way it is now. Everybody who think he
can improve on MSDP extremely is missing the point: MSDP is the
best possible compromise for an unsolvable problem. It's an
approximation formual to square a circle, and as i also said: This
is just one application. For the enterprise application with PIM-SM
it is even quite good and anycast-RP with PIM-SM/MSDP should be
strongly recommended as the best currently known mechanism to
provide rfc1112 that is widely supported by vendors. What does
it matter if we have better things on the horizon - how long will
it take for them to take over deployments - long!

Cheers
Toerless

> Marshall
>
> P.S. We want to start sourcing SSM video soon. A query - which would be
> better:
> to declare part of our GLOP space to be SSM, or to use the SSM address
> range ?
> Which would be easier to use mim with ?

Please use the 232/8 space, that's what it's meant for. Redesignating
another range for global SSM would just take another 5 years.

Thanks
Toerless Eckert