wg-multicast - Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST

  • From: John Zwiebel <>
  • To: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • Cc: David Meyer <>, Robert Olson <>, "Lucy E. Lynch" <>, Bill Owens <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: (MSDP problems in the internet) USA WNY-HPNVI 24/7 Live Surgery at 1330 EST
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 18:56:27 -0700

On Monday, May 13, 2002, at 06:45 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

P.S. We want to start sourcing SSM video soon. A query - which would be better:
to declare part of our GLOP space to be SSM, or to use the SSM address range ?
Which would be easier to use mim with ?

Neither.

Just include the source in the SAP for your sessions so that
an SSM aware application can issue an IGMPv3 request if it
is able. That way you can support ASM and SSM with the
same source.

The downside will be that if folks join your session, and the
session has no data, then the tree will be brought up and
torn down repeatedly.

In the SSM range (or if the router is configured for some
other range) PIM joins will setup and maintain state.

As far as the routers in the internet are concerned, there
is nothing different about receiving a PIM (S,G) join for
an SSM group or ASM group, its only behavior difference
is that data is what keeps an ASM SPT up, while PIM control
messages keep an SSM SPT up.

Ross Finlayson sent me the following.