wg-multicast - Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: Jon Zeeff <>
  • To: Bill Nickless <>, David Richardson <>
  • Cc: Hugh LaMaster <>, Multicast WG Internet2 <>
  • Subject: Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 12:58:09 -0500

We have had this challenge all along. For example, I find that if I use UDP and send 3 copies of all packets, I get far less packet loss than my
neighbor. So the current answer is "whomever runs certain software".
Streaming video/audio products are starting to use this mechanism and newer QOS mechanisms would be much more efficient.

Unfortunately, there are
social challenges to deploying QoS mechanisms that attempt to provide
better than best effort -- who gets to have their packets preferred?