wg-multicast - Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: Tony Rimovsky <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc: Jon Zeeff <>, Bill Nickless <>, Toerless Eckert <>, Goorah Shravan <>,
  • Subject: Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:37:26 -0600

>From a beacon perspective, I'd be interested in what sort of time
intervals for testing people think would be appropriate.

As part of the redesign we are looking at this and trying to strike a
balance between granularity and capacity concerns.

One option is the server being able to send commands to the beacons do
initiate a rate change for a period of time. [Something similar to
this will be used to trigger group changes for beacon communities in
order to check for state building problems.]

Also, see <http://farmer.ncsa.uiuc.edu/~tony/beacon.html>. This is
something I am playing with. The interval for these plots is 120
seconds. Is a view like this but with a much finer time granularity
valuable in the context of this discussion?