wg-multicast - RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: Jon Zeeff <>
  • To: Richard Mavrogeanes <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:54:08 -0500

Yes, there is a fundamental incompatibility between tcp's "use all bandwidth, packet loss is a normal signaling mechanism" and "packet loss has very bad
effects on video conferencing". QOS helps.

I would add that the extent the network is otherwise well designed, when a
user pulls down a 1G file and the network attempts to use all the bandwidth
to allow it, real time services must suffer. I would argue this is where
QoS comes in. There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of
unequal things.