wg-multicast - RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: Hugh LaMaster <>
  • To: Multicast WG Internet2 <>
  • Subject: RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:51:54 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Jon Zeeff wrote:

> Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:54:08 -0500
> From: Jon Zeeff
> <>
> To: Richard Mavrogeanes
> <>
>
> Subject: RE: QoS requirements of multicast applications
>
> Yes, there is a fundamental incompatibility between tcp's "use all
> bandwidth, packet loss is a normal signaling mechanism" and "packet loss
> has very bad
> effects on video conferencing". QOS helps.
>

> >I would add that the extent the network is otherwise well designed, when a
> >user pulls down a 1G file and the network attempts to use all the bandwidth
> >to allow it, real time services must suffer. I would argue this is where
> >QoS comes in. There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of
> >unequal things.

QoS is clearly a good thing to have in order to balance the
requirements of fixed-bandwidth realtime applications and
bulk data transfer applications.

However, there are so many ways to get packet loss ~1%
that I don't think it is reasonable to assume 0% packet
loss as an end-end requirement. I would like to see
applications tolerate up to ~10% loss before becoming
unusable or uninteresting, with the usual range .5%-5%.

I wish that application developers would take advantage
of the existing FEC mechanisms, and, would also adjust
codec parameters, to make data streams much more robust
in the face of a small percentage of packet loss. For
example, talking about MPEG, more I-frames, I-frames w/FEC,
no B-frames, etc., would certainly result in more bandwidth
consumed per frame (e.g., depending on settings, you might
get 8-10 Mbps consumed instead of 6 Mbps, or, alternatively,
fewer fps if limited to 6 Mbps). Some would say that such
parameters are not "optimal". But, that assumes 0% packet
loss. "Optimal" at .5%-5% packet loss results in a different
set of parameters.

I realize that software designers are probably at the mercy
of what industry provides for broadcast satellite and DVD
applications, but, having seen direct satellite broadcast
TV as well, I would say that it would also benefit from
more robustness than would be required for, say, DVD applications.
I would hope that codec manufacturers could see the benefit in
building-in flexibility wrt parameter choices supported
and their ease of use.

--
Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21, Email:

NASA Ames Research Center Or:

Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 Or:

Phone: 650/604-1056 Disc: Unofficial, personal *opinion*.