wg-multicast - Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: David Richardson <>
  • To: Hugh LaMaster <>
  • Cc: Multicast WG Internet2 <>
  • Subject: Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:26:25 -0800 (PST)

I have to agree with the sentiments that over R&E networks, loss is more
often due to configuration problems than congestion.

But either way, applications have to expect loss, and it's not clear to me
that from an overall perspective we would save engineering time by
deploying better than best effort QoS services, since the applications are
going to have to be coded to cope with loss anyhow.

I think all of the elements in the toolbox have to be used:

- FEC is a must, and I don't think it need be a source of latency. Most
video compression techniques introduce a great deal of latency, swamping
any latency FEC might add. There is also a lot of data in video, so you
can get a comfortable FEC coding rate even if you only protect the data
in a single video frame. And there are lots of efficient, guaranteed-
latency algorithms to choose from.

- Error concealment is a must. Again, there are a lot of classic
techniques that can be used to smooth out missing video or audio.

- Applications have to adapt to the state of the network. If there is
steady loss, drop the resolution or frame rate or color depth or
increase the compression.

- Less than best effort QoS might be helpful. Unfortunately, there are
social challenges to deploying QoS mechanisms that attempt to provide
better than best effort -- who gets to have their packets preferred?
Less than best effort allows an application to choose how it should
be degraded, and avoids some of the social problems. An MPEG app would
mark P and B frames less than best effort, hoping that at least audio
and I frames make it through whole.

- David