wg-multicast - Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:15:39 -0500

At 1:57 PM -0500 3/4/02, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
Actually, while I have been writing this, a nice "60" second periodic packet loss problem has started on the UOregon -> MCT link, starting at about 1:32 PM EST. Symptom is about 300 milliseconds or so of dead time every 63 +- 2 seconds. Most recent events were (NTS time)
13:49:30
13:50:35
13:41:38
13:52:40
13:53:41

I sure wish I knew what caused that. It happens very steadily, with deep loss periods, on all the multicast traffic from Northwestern to me. It also happens on occasion on traffic from Columbia. I've done some poking to try to nail it down but haven't been able to isolate it, or even solidly identify in what portion of the network it occurs other than to say I don't think it is inside my own backbone. . . but I'm not even certain of that.

Bill.