wg-multicast - Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: Bill Nickless <>
  • To: Jon Zeeff <>
  • Cc: "Marshall Eubanks" <>, Toerless Eckert <>, Goorah Shravan <>,
  • Subject: Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 20:01:05 -0600

I'm not prepared to agree that oversubscription causes the "vast majority" of packet loss, especially in the R&E networks. I've looked at the MRTG/Cricket graphs of these networks and almost always see plenty of headroom. I agree with Marshall that there are a host of other problems that crop up.

I can't begin to count the number of times we find duplex mismatches, dirty circuits (clock skew is my favorite), routers mis-configured to handle multicast forwarding in software, IGMP brokenness, 5% of circuit speed rate limits on multicast traffic (!!) and so on.

The challenge with many of these problems is that TCP hides them too well. Often the multimedia application is the first to find a problem that's existed for a long time.

When there's true oversubscription, even TCP can't hide that fact. Then users complain and the NOCs call us to say "stop breaking our production network backbone links!"