wg-multicast - Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications

  • From: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • To: Jon Zeeff <>, Toerless Eckert <>, Goorah Shravan <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: QoS requirements of multicast applications
  • Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:02:57 -0500

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 08:46:49 -0500
Jon Zeeff
> I agree, many vendors don't seem to be doing a good job
> on handling
> less than perfect connectivity. Was talking to one
> vendor recently and
> the comment was that there isn't much they can do since
> they are
> just handing the data to a MPEG decoder chip. So lots of
> ugly green
> blotches if a packet was lost.
>
> Packet loss causing some small frozen spots on the screen
> for a few frames
> should be achievable. And packet redundancy makes sense
> for the ultra
> important audio.
>
> I don't know that I agree that packet loss is
> predictable. QOS is absolutely
> needed. FEC is efficient but causes latency.

Latency is OK for broadcasting, but not for
videoconferencing. We are doing broadcasting.

IMHO, QOS (i.e., intserv or diffserv)
will _not_ help with predictable packet losses actually
seen. See my presentation to the last IETF MBONE meeting :

http://www.multicasttech.com/papers/ietf-52-mboned-tme-1.pdf

Regards
Marshall